Loaded Zucchini & Bacon Frittata



We love having breakfast for dinner and do frequently when I'm under the gun to try and come up with something quick for dinner. I love omelets, but the stress of not over stuffing it with ingredients and not having it come out like scrambled eggs is too much, so I usually just make scrambled eggs with all the fixin's in them. 

But, the Italians were smart when they came up with their version of the omelet... the frittata. It's an omelet you can load up with goodies and it comes out in perfect shape to eat. Mind you, it's more like a piece of pie, but still... everything is all in pretty form! And when I say loaded... you can put waay more stuff in them than an omelet! Throw in whatever you have on hand.

For this particular frittata I went with zucchini, bacon, mushrooms, tomato, onion, black & kalamata olives and feta cheese. See what I mean by you can load up? I started by cutting up 3 pieces of bacon and a small amount of onion. I cooked those together in a 10.5" iron skillet, removing some bacon grease when done. I'm on a skillet kick - this is my third night in a row cooking in my skillet. I love it!!


Then I threw in the zucchini and mushroom, cooking it all together for a few minutes.


I then added the tomatoes and olives. Aren't all those colors great?


In a separate bowl I whisked together 9 eggs, some milk, pepper, dry mustard and basil. 


Add the egg mixture to your pan of veggies.


Add some feta!


Mmm... doesn't that look yummy? And no stress to keep it in an omelet shape!


Turn the heat down to med-low and cover. 


 Cook for about 12-15 minutes, or until you feel the middle is firm. 


Top with cheese of your choice and stick under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese is just starting to brown. Remove and let cool. Frittata is best served room temperature or cooler, but I'm not a "cold food" kind of person, so I just let it cool down some and enjoyed it warm. And enjoy we did!!


I served this with a side salad.  And there was one lone piece left.


What do you or will you put in your frittata?
Pin It


Loaded Zucchini & Bacon Frittata (printable version)

chopped onion, to taste
3 pieces of bacon, chopped
1/2 small can of mushrooms or 2-3 medium fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 small zucchini, sliced & cut into quarters
12-15 grape tomatoes, cut into quarters
several black olives, sliced
several kalamata olives, sliced
9 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp basil
salt & pepper to taste
crumbled feta cheese
fresh grated parmesan or mozzarella cheese for topping

In a deeper skillet, cook bacon and onion. Remove excess grease, keeping about 1/2 tablespoon. Add mushrooms and zucchini and cook on medium heat for a few minutes, moving ingredients around in the pan. Add tomatoes and olives and cook a few minutes, also moving ingredients around. 

In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, milk, mustard, basil, salt & pepper. Add eggs to the pan of veggies along with feta cheese, stirring to mix well. Lower heat to med-low and cover. Cook for about 12-15 minutes, until frittata is firm. Remove from heat and turn on broiler in your oven. Add grated cheese to the top and broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and just starting to brown. Let cool to room temperature or desired warmth. 


Enjoy!


Comments