Mint Oreo Chocolate Bundt Cake With Sour Cream Ganache



I have to admit, I normally do not like recipes that include candy or cookies in the recipe. Like desserts that have chopped up candy bars in them or cookies inside cookies or stuffed with Rolos or Snickers, stuff like that. It really just grosses me out. Throw in a boxed mix to get the result, and I'm really turned off. Usually when I see a recipe that lists a boxed cake mix, I immediately close out and don't go any further. Yes, I am a boxed cake mix snob. I admit it. Sorry, but I don't like the mass-produced chemical taste. To throw together a few more ingredients to get homemade, it's well worth it. But if you're OK using boxed, go for it.

I saw a chocolate bundt cake with ganache from Doughmesstic, and it looked great. Then I read the boxed cake mix in the recipe. But what intrigued me, was the oreo cookies and the picture of the cake looked so moist and yummy. The only store bought cookies we buy are Oreos (my kids like to make their own "blizzards") so I decided to make my own version without the box mix, and make my own ganache a little differently. It was delicious! I do however, need to work on my ganache drizzling skills LOL.


 I really miss the bright sunny days of summer to have my good lighting for pictures. Boo.

It's a super easy cake to make and uses very basic ingredients you'd be sure to have on hand. Just throw some Oreos in the food processor until you have 2 cups worth.


Add all your ingredients in the mixer.... and you're on your way to a delicious dessert!


I always get a little nervous using a cake pan I can't put parchment paper in...


But, greasing & flouring seemed to do the trick just fine.


For all my chocolate cake needs, I always use Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake recipe. It's great to use for bundt cakes, round cakes or cupcakes. I then added the crushed mint oreos. I wanted the ganache for the frosting, but didn't have heavy cream. I substituted lite sour cream for heavy cream and not only is it better on the waistline, but it tastes great! The cake is very moist and you can't even taste cookie crumbs in it, just the slight hint of mint. So, here's my version....

Mint Oreo Chocolate Cake with Sour Cream Ganache (printable version)

Cake
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups crushed mint Oreo cookies (threw in food processor & pulsed a few times)
1 cup boiling water

Ganache
Equal parts (by weight) of sour cream and milk chocolate chips. I used 6 ounces each.

Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour a bundt cake pan.

In a mixer bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda and salt. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in the crushed oreos. Gently stir in the boiling water. (Batter will be thin, this is correct.) Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake 50-55 minutes; Cool for 15 minutes, then remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. 

To prepare the ganache, mix both the sour cream and the chocolate together and melt using the double broiler method.  Drizzle over cooled bundt cake.


Pin It

Check out where I Link Party and share my posts!


Comments