My Mixer Makeover


This will probably be one of my shortest and easiest posts but it's one that excites me the most! (haha, like that rhyme there?)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Kitchen Aid mixer. I probably use it almost every day. But there's just one teeny tiny thing about it that always sort of bugged me. It was stark white. I'm not a white person - I am a cream person. I do not have any white walls in my house, they are cream. You would be awfully hard pressed to find anything white in my house, besides... well, my Kitchen Aid mixer. We got it for a wedding gift from my parents and I can not express enough how much I love it (and my mother has approved this post!) But 8 years ago, they didn't have the color options they have available today.

For the past few years that I've been on Pinterest, I've noticed the pins where people have done a mixer makeover. Mind you, some of them are with pretty funky colors and have flames & decals, etc. I'm not looking for that.... I just want mine not white. I've been putting it off for a long time because I've been scared to do it. I didn't want to ruin a perfectly good mixer. But, I can safely say I've had a few more DIY projects under my belt since my first inclination to do this, so now I felt much more comfortable. Against the brow scrunching and scrutinizing of my husband, I forged ahead.

First I purchased Rust-Oleum's Appliance paint in Almond at my local home center.



Then I got to work taking the mixer apart. There is a cap on the back of the mixer that hides the wires, etc. that comes off. I then taped up the wires by covering them with a piece of plastic wrap and tape. Took the front knob off where you would put attachments and the metal Kitchen Aid band comes off with 2 screws from the back.  The rest of the knobs, screws and the thing where the whisk attaches to, I taped. I gently used an Exacto knife to trim the tape around the screws. Don't forget to tape the cord too.


Following paint can instructions, start painting your mixer! Make sure you paint evenly and a few coats.


After it's dry, put your mixer back together.

I'm even more in love with my "new" mixer!! (see, my husband had nothing to worry about!)

The before (white) and the after (cream):


All is well in my cream world!

Pin It

Comments

  1. That is an awesome idea - I had gotten mine refurbished and it works great, but color is not the best - totally doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Kelly... that's the perfect opportunity to do a make over! Make sure you share a link to your finished mixer for us to see! :) ~ Mama Ging

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sort of want to do this with a glitter paint! But I think my husband might think I am crazy! HAHA Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Roberta! I'm not that familiar with spray glitter paint, but my concern about the glitter is that it would give it a rougher texture maybe??? and might make it harder to clean. And if you wanted to paint over that, you'd have to do a lot of sanding to get it smooth again. If you do go ahead, let us see it!! :) Good luck! ~ Mama Ging

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

A penny for your thoughts? I'd love to hear from you! I read each one and respond when called for. :)