Copycat Fannie May Mint Meltaways


February 19th was National Chocolate Mint day and for the occasion, I made my copycat Fannie May Mint Meltaways. Our whole household loves the original ones, but the copycats are just as easy to make (& much less expensive!) and every one thinks they are spot on. So, why not, right? I took some to my parents, took some to my BFF's when I went for Wine Wednesday and sent some to work with my hubby. I've had a few requests as to how I made them, so I will tell you, but I don't have any as-I-go-along pictures.

Hershey makes a mint chocolate morsel, but I was at a local grocery store and saw Nestle Winter Limited Edition Dark Chocolate & Mint Morsels on clearance for $1.56 per 10 oz bag. I grabbed 4 bags. Now I'm wishing I would've grabbed them ALL. I know, greedy me. I also picked up a 2 pound bag of Ghirardelli White Melting Wafers at Sam's Club last week for under $4. Yeah.

These 2 are my main players in this recipe. (If you don't have mint chocolate chips, you can always use regular and add mint extract.)


The main candy part is almost like a basic fudge recipe, the sweetened condensed milk, the chocolate chips, some butter and vanilla, melted until all mixed and creamy. Pour it into a non-stick tinfoil lined pan (I use an 11"x7" pan) and throw in the frig until it's cooled. When it is cool, lift the fudge up by the tinfoil, and cut into 1" rows, and then into 1" pieces. I cut up about 2 rows at at time, put the pieces on a plate and put them in the freezer while I get the melting chocolate ready. I put the chocolate back in the frig when I'm not working with it. Then after I do one batch, I get it back out again, cut 2 rows, put it in the freezer for about 10 mins, then coat them.

I fill a small saucepan about 1/4 full of water, and put a glass bowl on top to use as a double broiler. Put in my candy wafers and I add Wilton Gel paste coloring - all I had on had was a Moss Green, but it worked. Add the paste to the wafers as they melt, stirring in. Don't use liquid food coloring!

Lay out a piece of waxed paper on the counter and grab a fork. Get your chocolate squares and plop one in the candy melt, covering thoroughly and remove with the fork, shaking some excess off. Lay it on the waxed paper, either flick it off or use a toothpick to scoot it off. Try to have it spend as less time as possible in the candy melt, or the chocolate will melt. Then just wait for them to harden, which doesn't take long.

And there you have your very own Mint Meltaways! Now comes the problem of trying not to pop all of them in your mouth!


You can either leave them on a plate or fancy them up a bit by using mini treat wrappers. They look pretty either way!


Copycat Fannie May Mint Meltaways (printable version)

1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
3 cups mint chocolate chips (18 oz of chips)  OR 2 cups semi sweet & 1 cup milk chocolate & mint extract
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups (give or take) Ghirardelli White Melting Wafers

Line a 9x9 (or similar) pan with non-stick tinfoil, making sure there is enough to go over the edge. In a sauce pan, heat the milk, chips, butter and vanilla over medium heat. Stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is nice and smooth. Pour into your prepared pan and chill until firm.

When it is cool, lift the fudge up by the tinfoil, and cut into 1" rows, and then into 1" pieces. Cut up about 2 rows at a time, put the pieces on a plate and put them in the freezer while you get the melting chocolate ready. Put the chocolate back in the frig when not working with it. After coating one batch, get it back out again, cut 2 rows, put it in the freezer for about 10 mins, then coat. Repeat until all chocolate is coated.

To coat the chocolate:
Fill a small saucepan about 1/4 full of water, and put a glass bowl on top to use as a double broiler. Put in candy wafers and melt. Add your green gel paste coloring to the wafers as they melt, stirring in. Don't use liquid food coloring!

Lay out a piece of waxed paper on the counter and grab a fork. Get your chocolate squares and plop one in the candy melt, covering thoroughly and remove with the fork, shaking some excess off. Lay it on the waxed paper, either flick it off or use a toothpick to scoot it off. Try to have it spend as less time as possible in the candy melt, or the chocolate will melt. Let candies harden.

Check out where I Link Party and share my posts!


Comments

  1. I got so excited when I saw your post on the Brag About It party! Fannie May Mint Meltaways is one of my favorites! Pinned to my Cooking bucket List. Would love for you to bring them to our Four Seasons party tomorrow night.
    Easy Life Meal & Party Planning

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

A penny for your thoughts? I'd love to hear from you! I read each one and respond when called for. :)