Easy Squash & Spinach Lasagna Rolls


I made these butternut squash lasagna roll ups the other night for dinner and they were really good. My recipe is based on a recipe I saw at skinnytaste.com but then I put my own spin on it and used a few different ingredients which probably didn't make it so skinny. Super easy to make too, but I must admit I already had some roasted squash and basil pesto cubes in the freezer that all I had to do was thaw. So if you don't have squash already prepared and want to keep the "skinny" in the taste, then I'd check out her recipe for complete directions. I also used fresh spinach instead of frozen so that cut back on time having to cook & drain the spinach. 

To make these bad boys, I thawed my butternut squash and basil pesto cubes. I then boiled 10 lasagna noodles. 


While my noodles were boiling, I drained my cottage cheese to get rid of some of the excess liquid. I don't usually have ricotta on hand, and we eat cottage cheese, so that's what I'm using.


I also cut up 4 pieces of mozzarella string cheese into 10 pieces.I know there are 9 there, I followed the original recipe that said to use 9 noodles so that's all I made, but a 9x13 pan fits 10 noodles so I'm telling you 10 so you aren't jipped one. Just lookin' out for ya!


I mixed my cottage cheese with my pesto, some Parmesan cheese, an egg, salt & pepper. 

Next, I sauteed some onion & garlic in a pan, added the squash, pepper, Parmesan cheese and a little bit of water to thin it out. I forgot to take a picture. Sorry!

I spread a little bit of the squash in the bottom of the 9x13 pan.

Then I took a noodle, put a cheese chunk at the beginning of the noodle and spread some of my cottage cheese mix on it, then added some spinach leaves. 


Then, just roll it up!


Put each roll in your pan, and continue with all the noodles. See, clearly there was room for another noodle.


 Next, scoop some of your squash mix on top of each noodle.


And top with more cheese. Mmmmmm!


Bake those boys at 350, covered with foil, for 40 minutes.


Doesn't that look delish? Paired with a salad and some bread, it's a winner! Even my non-squash eating daughter gave it a thumbs up. It makes me want to roast and freeze more butternut squash to have on hand to make this more often and easily. I mean really, lasagna rolls can't be too proprietary, you can put whatever you want inside them or on top of them. Kind of like burritos, quesadillas or grilled cheese - the possibilities are endless of what to put inside them. I think next time I will add mushrooms.


Cheesy, yummy goodness.


Tell me how you roll & what you put in your lasagna noodle!


Easy Squash & Spinach Lasagna Rolls (print version)

adapted from skinnytaste.com


1 tsp oil
3 tbsp finely chopped onion
2 tsp minced garlic
2 cups cooked or roasted butternut squash
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, divided
salt & pepper to taste
10 lasagna noodles, cooked
1 - 16 oz container cottage or ricotta cheese
4 tbsp pesto
1 egg
1 cup shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese
approx 30 leaves fresh spinach
4 string cheese sticks, cut into 10 pieces

Heat oven to 350. In a pan, heat the oil and saute the onion and garlic for a few minutes until soft. Add the squash, 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, salt & pepper. Mix together and cook a few minutes until well blended. Add 1 tbsp water at a time if needed. Spread a thin layer of the mixture in the bottom of a 9"x13" pan. 

In a small bowl, mix your cottage or ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, egg, pesto, salt & pepper. Lay out a lasagna noodle and place a string cheese chunk at the beginning. Spread cheese mixture on the noodle from end to end. Lay about 3 pieces of fresh spinach leaves on top. Roll up, and place in your pan. Repeat with all noodles. Spread remaining squash mixture evenly on top of rolls and top with shredded cheese. Cover with tinfoil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven, remove tinfoil and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.


Pin It

Check out where I Link Party and share my posts!

Comments