Savory Galette



Today I learned something new! No, it wasn't about pizza. I learned what a galette was. And in case you aren't familiar with it either, it's a French term for a free-form, flat pie that can be sweet or savory. I decided to make a savory one first for dinner, so I chose brussel sprouts, tomatoes, turkey bacon and green onion. 


I wanted to roast my brussel sprouts and tomatoes on the grill, so I found a brussel sprout marinade & grilling recipe from Alton Brown on the Food Network site.

As Alton says, first I microwaved the sprouts on high for 3 minutes.

 
I prepared my marinade of oil, dry mustard, minced garlic, paprika, salt & pepper......


and poured it all over the sprouts...


and then fired up my grill and grilled the skewers for 5 minutes on each side.


I set them aside to cool down a bit and then threw on my sliced tomatoes. They don't take too long, only a couple minutes on each side.


Then I prepared my pie crust using my own pie crust recipe.

Light & Flaky Pie Crust

2 cups flour, sifted
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup olive oil
5 tbsp cold water

Preheat oven to 425. Put flour in a bowl and sift with a fork. Add salt (& for this particular crust I also added some garlic powder and pepper.) Measure the 1/2 cup oil in a 1 cup measuring cup and add the water to the oil. Pour into the flour mix and mix well with a fork. Roll out between a layer of parchment paper (bottom) and waxed paper (top).

I rolled it out into one big crust on a large, flat cookie sheet.


Then I prepared a spread of 4 ounces of light cream cheese (softened) and 1 tsp of crushed garlic. 

 

I mixed that well with beaters and spread it on the crust, staying 1/2" away from the edge of the crust.

Next I grated some fresh parmesan cheese.

 
Then I sliced up my roasted brussel sprouts and put them all over the top of the crust. I cut up the cooked turkey bacon and added that. Next, I laid out the tomatoes and added some chopped green onion and covered it with the parmesan cheese. Finally, I folded up the edge and pinched it together all around. Isn't it looking scrumptious?


I threw it in the oven for about 15-20 minutes. The picture was taken on the kitchen counter and the lighting wasn't the best, but it really is more appealing than this LOL.

Slice it up and enjoy a piece!


The nice thing about this is it's easy and you can top it with whatever you'd like, and all the better with toppings that you wouldn't normally have on a pizza. I was pleasantly surprised with the turkey bacon, I've never had it before. Let me know if you make one and what you put on it!

Pin It

Check out where I Link Party and share my posts!

Comments