Hello....Welcome!

Hello....Welcome!

Get in Touch

Viewers

Follow Along!

Follow me on Twitter

Fun Stuff!

Spread the love

Mama Ging

Labels

Subscribe Now

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Rhubarb Double Berry Almond Crisp


My husband mentioned the rhubarb in our garden was getting pretty stalky. I do not have a green thumb by any stretch of the imagination so I would not have been out in the garden to check this. I love using stuff that we grow, but I have to leave it up to the hubby to bring the stuff in and let me know when it's ready because I know nothing about gardening/outdoor/yardwork. I've never been one to keep plants alive in the house! I do have a little garden experiment going that I will share later if it works out. :)

This recipe was inspired by Raspberry Rhubarb Pecan Crisp that I found on Pinterest. I can't even really say if I've ever eaten rhubarb, I think last year my hubby gave his mom some to make something with it. But, the fact that it had a berry with it made me think I would try it. I found quite a few rhubarb stalks that were still kind of thin (after Googling how to pick & cut rhubarb I learned the thinner ones are more sweet) so I grabbed a bunch from the garden and headed in to make the crisp. 


I didn't take a lot of pictures of the prep and making of the dessert because I really hadn't planned on writing about it but it turned out so yummy I wanted to share. It's super easy - 2 steps of just combining ingredients, the filling and the topping. As you can tell my recipe name is different than the pinned dessert, as I thought I had raspberries and discovered that I did not, so I used 2 different berries. The original recipe also stated that the filling had a very runny sauce and I didn't want that. I like my filling creamy and my topping thick so I made adjustments. I also prefer almonds over pecans.
 

Look at that rhubarb berry goodness! Lets get started on making some!

Rhubarb Double Berry Almond Crisp (adapted from LivingBetterTogether)

Filling:
3 cups finely chopped rhubarb
1 cup blueberries (can be fresh or frozen)
1 1/2 cups whole strawberries (fresh or frozen) chopped (I threw in food processor for a few pulses)
2/3 cup sugar
4 tbsp cornstarch

Add all above ingredients in a bowl & gently stir to fully combine. Pour into a smaller glass casserole dish, mine is 7.5"long x11"wide x 2.5" high and fit perfectly. Heat oven to 350F.

Topping:
1 stick butter, melted
1 1/2 cups oats
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped almonds (again, in food processor for a couple pulses)
3 tbsp honey, divided

Combine all ingredients above in a bowl, using only 1 tbsp honey.

Spread topping evenly over the filling mixture. Drizzle with remaining 2 tbsp of honey and sprinkle additional cinnamon if you'd like. (I did, but I think next time I'd leave off.) Bake for 45 minutes. Let cool slightly and serve with ice cream. 


Enjoy!


Pin It
Check out where I Link Party and share my posts!


6 comments:

Heidi@OneCreativeMommy.com said...

I haven't had rhubarb since I was a kid! Thanks for the fun memories and the great recipe!

Jill Plenty said...

Hope you can make it sometime Heidi!

Laura@bakinginpyjamas said...

This sounds delicious, I can imagine a nice scoop of ice cream with this in the summer. I found your blog on Share the love Sunday over at Buttercream Bakehouse.

Jill Plenty said...

Thanks Laura! I pinned your Espresso Cupcakes - I love coffee flavored treats - your link at Buttercream Bakehouse! I tried to leave a comment but it wouldn't let me unless I registered with Wordpress.

Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above said...

These are such a great idea. I'm going to have to try these.
Debi

Jill Plenty said...

Yes Debi, do try. Very yummy! :)

Post a Comment

A penny for your thoughts? I'd love to hear from you! I read each one and respond when called for. :)

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio