Hello....Welcome!

Hello....Welcome!

Get in Touch

Viewers

Follow Along!

Follow me on Twitter

Fun Stuff!

Spread the love

Mama Ging

Labels

Subscribe Now

Powered by Blogger.

Monday, May 6, 2013

My Birthday Weekend

Wow... it's Monday morning and I'm feeling the aftermath of a busy, emotionally charged last couple of days. I had 2 big events over the weekend, one was Prom on Saturday - in which I had 2 daughters attending. For one it was her last prom (sniff sniff!) and the other, it was her first (sniff, sniff!) And on Sunday, my 44th birthday (sniff, sniff!)

Part I of the Weekend:
For Prom, it was kind of neat because both girls were going to be in the same group. Their boyfriends  are really close friends so the 4 of them hang out quite often, which is nice. So in all, they had 2 other couples in their group. Hayley asked me if I would be interested in making the corsages & boutonnieres for their group and I gladly accepted the honor. I had made boutonnieres for her for other dances so that part I was fine with. I thought about the corsages and I really wanted to make something that was going to be more of a keepsake corsage since it was 3 of the 4 girls senior prom (instead of a dried up floral arrangement in a week). In looking for corsage inspiration, I came across one that Hayley agreed was really pretty. It was this corsage on the JL Designs site:

 We loved the simplicity of a single large flower and the pearl bracelet. So I took this picture to the florist and I was gently given a scolding about her annoyance with internet pictures making everything look so easy & it's just really not practical. She listed off several reasons why, I guess first and foremost these china mums are not really carried by florists in our area and they really are a fall flower. And second, they have very shallow receptacle (green stuff were petals come out of) so within hours the petals fall out. Particularly when girls are all huggy & moving all over for pictures, then they are upset that their corsage falls apart before dinner. This information only solidified my standing for explaining my idea for a keepsake corsage - which was to make a large fabric rose out of chiffon. Fortunately Hayley loved the idea, so I set out to buy the chiffon, the corsage bracelets, some small embellishments, some felt & got out my glue gun. I will be posting a tutorial on how to make these keepsake corsages very soon, if anyone is interested.



 I forgot to take a picture of the 4th flower, but it had gold embellishments since her dress had gold accents. I was really pleased how they turned out! And for the boutonnieres (Hayley's date had a red flower since his tux was white, the others had ivory) I bought a bouquet of small ivory roses (& a single full size red rose) and made the boutonnieres with the matching corsage embellishments. Taped up the stems with floral tape and Hobby Lobby even had some "official" corsage & boutonniere plastic containers for only 50 cents each.
the boutonniere flowers were real.
Here is a group picture of the girls with their corsages:

Claire, Hayley, Abby & Ali

My girls also asked me to do their hair. I was really surprised (and honored!) that they entrusted me to such a thing since I've never done their hair before. So of course we got on Pinterest to look for inspiration. It really ended up being fun and for me, it was a special thing that I could do for them. 

 So now that all the prep is done........ on to the good stuff.... pictures!

Abby & Hayley before the festivities began

Abby & her boyfriend Noel

Hayley & her boyfriend Dan

the girls of the group.... love this reflection picture!


Dan, Hayley, Noel & Abby

The Group! Chino & Claire, Dan & Hayley, Noel & Abby, Connor & Ali

Dan & Hayley's red carpet pose!

Abby & Noel's red carpet pose!






Abby, Hattie & Hayley
Hattie can't wait until it's her turn for prom. Fortunately I get a few years in between to prepare for that! The weather in this area has been so "iffy" lately with all the wind & rain and it did rain in the morning, but it ended up being a gorgeous day. So, my girls were off to Prom for the night.



And now for Part II for of the weekend: Cinco de Mayo (aka My Birthday!)
I originally woke up with plans to go to my husbands baseball game. It was a little over an hours drive and the girls and I were planning to go for the day. He leaves earlier than we do because he has to bring the equipment and of course they have BP. At the last minute I decided not to go, but to plan for a birthday gathering instead. I talked to my mom and she agreed to help with the food prep. I then sent out an invitation text to family & friends. I had been pinning Cinco de Mayo ideas all week so I had an idea of what I wanted to make. (I had this party on the back burner just in case it rained & the game was canceled, so although the game wasn't canceled, everyone had known there was a chance for a party.) My mom made her classic Tortilla Pie, a few different dips & chips, I made BBQ (there were a few attendees & kids that would need something other than spicy Mexican food) and a few other fun things:

Churro Cheesecake from The Recipe Critic


Homemade Restaurant-style Salsa from Brown Eyed Baker


Individual 7 Layer Dips from The Girl Who Ate Everything (except mine are only 5 layers lol)





and Margarita Cupcakes by Brown Eyed Baker


And last but not least... RumChata shots for the adults...or as I like to call it, YumChata! ;)


A fun thing I like about my birthday is that it makes my brother Jeff and I the same age for 2 months. I loved teasing him about it when we were younger, now I just gently remind him. :) I actually am OK with having birthdays, thankfully, I really have nothing to complain about as I welcome every year.

 
So that was my very busy weekend, and it's taken me all day just to get this post done. I did meet my sister-in-law for lunch but otherwise, I tried to take it easy today since I've been running like a mad woman the past 3 days!

Did you have a good weekend? What did you do to celebrate Cinco de Mayo?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

A penny for your thoughts? I'd love to hear from you! I read each one and respond when called for. :)

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio