Something Fishy Goin' On!

And I like it! I must start out by saying I am not a seafood person. The extent of my seafood consumption thus so far has been fish sticks as a kid (lol) a Culver's fish sandwich and an occasional Friday Night baked, breaded fish (I mean, it is Wisconsin!). I do not like lemon and when I see people order baked fish and squirt lemon all over it (or smell it as my husband does it), it seriously makes me queasy so I'm sure that has been holding me back from trying baked. That, and I just do not like a fishy taste which I'm assuming breading & frying hides. It took me quite a while to appreciate tuna and even now I really have to be in the mood for it, and only as a tuna melt. (With cheese, bacon & tomato. No celery. And really good bread.)  I realize the health benefits of fish, so I'm trying to be better at adding it to our family menu. 

The other day I was at Target and came across some Swai fish fillets. I don't even know what made me stop and look at the freezer display, but I did. I had heard of Salmon, Tilapia, Cod, Catfish, etc. but never Swai so I Googled it. The reviews seemed pretty positive about it being a nice, mild whitefish, easy to prepare. I thought that sounded like a good place to start so I bought a pkg, and they were all individually wrapped which was very nice. Then you only have to thaw what you need. Went home and looked up recipes to prepare it and came across a White Wine Cilantro sauce (anything with wine in it has to be good!) and I had just so happened to buy some fresh cilantro so that sounded like a winning recipe. It also recommended wild rice to serve with the fish, and I did have some of that already. I had also recently come across a recipe on Pinterest for Swedish Hasselback potatoes which looked heavenly (and in my mind you can't have fish without potato!) so yes we were having both starches. For the potato, there are so many different variations of the recipe, you can pretty much just do whatever suits you. There..... I had my menu already, just had to wait until the next day for Friday. I knew my husband would be very pleasantly surprised since A) he wouldn't have to go out to eat for fish and B) I made fish!! And I knew my eldest daughter would be pleasantly surprised too since she's always hounding me for Salmon (just can't get myself to do that one yet) and it was a rare instance where she wasn't going to have to work a Friday night. 

Here is my awesome dinner! 



A delicious dinner everyone enjoyed! I did forget to sprinkle paprika on the fish (per the recipe) but that's ok, it can go on next time.

The fish was nice and light & flaky, and very mild taste. If you aren't a big fish fan and like me but want to start somewhere to add it to your diet, I highly recommend Swai. And it's very reasonably priced. My Target had the pkg of 5 filets (24 oz) for $6.50 and that was regular price. My local grocery store then had it on sale for $2.99 for a one pound pkg which is great if you will use up the whole pkg. They aren't individually packaged and just frozen as a big hunk of filets, therefore harder to separate only what you will need. I did buy 2 more packages from the grocery store for later. This is the fish I used:



The sauce recipe I used is here and I prepared my potatoes like this:

Wash & dry potato. Cut thin slices into the potato but do not go all the way through. Line a baking sheet with non-stick foil and place potato on sheet. In a small sauce pan, I melted butter, garlic and rosemary and poured over the potato (reserve a little). Sprinkle with pepper. Bake at 400 for 45 minutes or until potato is softened. The edges should be crisp but inside tender (mmmmm!) Potato will fan out slightly as it bakes. If you have extra butter sauce reserved you can pour over it again to better get inside the slices. I also served with green beans and wild rice.

Have you had Swai already? Share how you prepare it! If not, go ahead and try it and let me know what you think. It's all about baby steps, right?


Comments