Abby's Favorite Dinner




One of Abby's family favorite meals is what we call Porcupine Meatballs & Buttered Noodles. I remember my mom making them for us as kids and now I enjoy making them for my kids! You make meatballs with Beef Rice-A-Roni.... mixing the beef with the rice/noodles (hence looking like porcupines!) and then cook them in the spice packet and boiling water for a while, then remove and make a gravy with the broth that's started.  Add the meatballs back in & cook a while longer, boil your noodles and in no time you have a hearty, "comfort food" meal. I know it doesn't look the most appetizing on a plate, but it really is!




Usually I serve with green beans and buttered bread but I had come across a recipe for Jalapeno Cornbread Pudding on the back of a package while looking for my noodles in the pantry and on a whim decided to make it because it sounded good. (Sometimes I think I have cooking ADD!) So I threw that together and was it ever good! Definitely a keeper.




Jalapeno Corn Bread Pudding
(Recipe from back of Flavorite Restaurant Style Cheese & Garlic Crouton package)
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Bake Time: 50-60 Minutes
Serves: 4-6

4 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 (15 oz) can cream-style corn
2 tbsp chopped jalapenos
1/2 tsp ground cumin
3 cups (1 pkg) Cheese & Garlic Croutons
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350.

In large mixing bowl, whisk eggs & milk until well combined. Mix in corn and jalapeno peppers and cumin. Fold in croutons and almost all of cheese, reserving a small amount.

Transfer to a 2 quart casserole dish that has been greased with cooking spray.

Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes. Stir; continue baking for another 30 minutes.

Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and continue baking until cheese is melted and toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.

Comments